Quote of the day

In the rhythm of the needles

there is music for the soul.


Breiclub in Oostende : om de 2 weken de zaterdag van 10 u - 12.30 u in de bieb



zondag 14 november 2010

a (rainy) day in Ghent

Yesterday I took my sister to Ghent for a day of shopping.  I know my way around town, I used to live there (as a student, a long time ago).  I didn't want to take her to the usual shopping streets, Ghent has so much more to offer ! We visited the St Jacobs market (unfortunately not a lot of flea market going on due to the rain) but we enjoyed the little 2nd hand shops, took a look at the new collection glass beads in Zahia and had a cappucino next door in a cosy tearoom.  Next we went to the old medieval castle 'Gravensteen' area, where we found a shop 'stoffenidee'.


They sell wool and books from Rowan, Noro, Debbie Bliss... I had read about Noro on so many websites and blogs, I was really curious. And indeed, I was (literally) hooked from the moment I saw it.  What lovely colours, so soft and rich.  We spend a lot of time there....  Our stomach told us to stop and go find lunch.  Next to the Gravensteen is a place called 'Old Loui's Tavern' and the chef is a woman from the Carribean called Louise.  She serves a great Jambalaya, spicy and delicious. A real treat.


After that we walked through the Graslei and the Breydelstraat, enjoyed the beautiful juwelry, hats, beads, etnic fabrics, old toys, dressmakers at work, cute gifts and lots of ideas to get inspiration !  When we stopped for another coffee a Brazilian lady called Tina offered to buy my sister's yellow felted bag and matching hat...!  I keep telling her there is a market for her stuff, but will she listen to her elder sister ?  No way !

I went home with a new felted hat, some  funky old buttons, old tappisery fabric and of course  a couple of skeins Noro.  I will keep you all informed about the projects that are about to follow...

my Noro wool and the old fabric

old buttons and Indian bells

a new hat

PS  Ghent is a well kept jewel - the city is now recently discoverd by Lonely Planet and they have put it in the top 10 of cities you must see in 2011... 

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...